Australian Embassy

Visa checklist - Partner migration

Applying for Partner Migration to Australia 

Prospective Marriage (Fiancé) (subclass 300)
Partner (subclass 309)

Who should apply for Partner migration visas?

Partner migration allows for the grant of a visa to a partner, where the other partner as the sponsor is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.

The type of partner visa for which you should apply depends on the type of relationship you are currently in at the time of your application:

  1. Fiancé - Couples who are engaged to be married

  2. Spouse - Couples in a married or de facto partner relationship (includes same-sex couples) 

Acknowledgements and interviews

An acknowledgment letter will be sent to you within 7 days of the Immigration Office receiving your application.  If an interview is required, you will be contacted by a case officer within 6 months who will make the necessary arrangements.

Visitor visas

You can apply for a visitor visa while your application is being processed. Your application will need to be assessed as likely to be granted (you meet the health requirement, and your relationship assessed as genuine). All the normal visitor visa requirements will also need to be met. Please see the appropriate checklist for visitor visa applications.  

There have been recent changes involving the police and character requirements (applications involving children).

Checklist – Include this checklist and the following items in your application  

(Links provided in the section below)

  • Application form (Form 47SP) completed and signed by the applicant

  • Sponsorship form (Form 40SP) completed and signed by the sponsor

  •  If you have dependents over 18 yrs, completed and signed Form 47A

  • The visa application fee

  • Certified true copy by our Service Delivery Partner (Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC)) of the biodata and visa pages of the applicant’s passport

  • Two recent passport-size photographs of the applicant

  • Two recent passport-size photographs of the sponsor

  • Two recent passport-size photographs of any migrating children

  • Birth certificate of the applicant

  • If married, a marriage certificate / If a fiancé, confirmation from a marriage celebrant that a “Notice of Intention to Marry” has been lodged - with the date and the venue stated

  • Name change certificate(s), if applicable

  • Divorce certificate, if applicable

  • Death certificate, if applicable

  • If applicable, evidence of legal custody of children and/or Form 1229 to be completed by the person who has the legal right to determine where the child can live

  • Legal Adoption document from a Court, if applicable

  • Evidence of the sponsor's status as an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen

  • Police certificates for the applicant for each country the applicant has lived in for 12 months or more over the last ten (10) years since the applicant has turned 16. More information on how to obtain a police clearance is included in the link 'Police and character requirements (obtaining a police certificate)'.

  • As per above, if this includes Indonesia, an Indonesian Police Clearance Certificate (SKCK) from Polda or Polres. Please ensure that a passport photo is affixed to your SKCK and name stated on the SKCK is the same as the name stated on your passport. More information on how to obtain a police clearance is included in the link 'Police and character requirements (obtaining a police certificate)'.

  • If the application includes people under 18, police certificates for the sponsor for each country the sponsor has lived in for 12 months or more over the last ten (10) years since the sponsor has turned 16. See the see the link 'police and character requirements (applications involving children)'.

  • Evidence of the sponsor's income over past 2 years and work reference(s)

  • Details and divorce certificates of your sponsor’s previous marriage(s), if applicable

  • A statement describing how you and your sponsor met and your current circumstances

  • Photocopies of correspondence including cards and letters which you have sent to one another, with envelopes – do not provide originals

  • Photocopies of telephone accounts or statements which show evidence of communication between yourselves – do not provide originals

  • Statements from friends and relatives who know you as a couple

  • Photocopies of a selection of photographs of you together over the length of your relationship – do not provide originals

  • ANY other evidence which demonstrates that your relationship is genuine   



Application map:
Before you apply  ►  Applying  ►  After you apply  ►  Further help / links 

  Back to the top of the page