Who should apply for a Transit visa?
If you are an Indonesian passport holder, no transit visa is required if you depart Australia within 8 hours of your arrival. This also applies to passport holders of some other countries – see the other website links below.
You should apply for this visa if:
- You will be in Australia for more than 8 hours and less than 72 hours (if you want to stay in Australia for more than 72 hours, you should apply for another type of visa instead - see the main checklist page).
- Your main purpose in entering Australia is because:
- you are on your way to another country (are in transit); OR
- you are going to join a non-military ship as a crew member.
What are the details of the Transit visa?
- There is no visa application charge for this type of visa
- This visa must be applied for before you travel to Australia
- The transit visa allows you to exit the airport area. However, a transit visa is still required even if you do not leave the airport area and want to stay only in the transit lounge.
Checklist - The following documents should be included with your application
- Application form (Form 876). Completed and signed. There is no fee for this visa
- You will need to provide a certified true copy by our Service Delivery Partner (Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC)) of the biodata and visa pages of your passport with your application
- One recent passport-sized photo of yourself and family members included in the application
- For Indonesian Nationals, copies of your Identification Card (KTP) & Family Card (Kartu Keluarga)
- If your family members (spouse, children under 18 years of age) are included in the application or are travelling with you, evidence of their relationship to you (for example - birth certificate, marriage certificate, family card, etc)
- If you are under 18 years old and:
- Evidence of travel tickets or documentation which shows what your travel arrangments are, after you leave Australia
- If you are a person joining the crew of a ship, provide the information required in the section below.
People joining the crew of a ship (in addition to the information provided above)
People who are joining the crew of a ship will also need to provide a statement from the local shipping/handling agent, which states:
- The names of the person(s) joining the ship as crew;
- The names of the person(s) they are replacing;
- The name of the ship;
- The expected date of arrival in Australia of all the people needing a visa;
- The port and date they are expected to join the ship;
- If the are not the ship’s owner, a copy of the request for crew from the ship’s agent in Australia. The request should contain the details of the crew members applying for visas.
- Application Form (876)
- General information on Transit visas
- Transit through Australia without a visa
- A guide to foreign sea travel