Australian Embassy

Visa checklist - Visitor visas

Applying for a Visitor Visa for Australia

(subclass 600) 

Who should apply for a Visitor Visa Stream?

The Visitor (subclass 600) visa provides for the temporary entry of people for tourism or business visitor purposes. This visa is for people to visit Australia temporarily for a holiday, to visit relatives or friends, attend meeting, conferences, or for short term study (up to 3 months). This visa is not for work or medical treatment.

There are four streams on this visa subclass:

  • Tourist
    For people to visit Australia temporarily for a holiday, to visit relatives or friends or for other short-term non-work purposes, including study for less than 3 months.
  • Business Visitor
    For applicants seeking to engage in business visitor activities including:
    • Making general business or government enquiries;
    • Contract negotiations;
    • Government visits;
    • Attending conferences, seminars, job interviews or professional examinations.
  • Sponsored Familylodged and processed in Australia.
  • Approved Destination Status (ADS)this is only for applicants who are located and applying in the P.R.C.

Certain passport holders are also eligible to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) or eVisitor. See



Checklist - The following documents should be included with your application  

Applications for sc600 tourist visas are requested to complete and provide a copy of this additional information form below with their visa application. Completing the form will aid DIBP to process your visa application more efficiently. The additional form can be found in the links below.

(links are below)

  • Application form. Check that this is fully completed and signed
    • Tourist stream – Form 1419
    • Business Visitor stream – Form 1415

Each applicant, including dependent children, must apply on their own form. 

  • The visa application fee. See  
  • Certified true copy by our Service Delivery Partner (Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC)) of the biodata and visa pages of your passport.
  • One recent passport sized photo of the visa applicant.
  • Birth certificates and for Indonesian nationals, a copy of your family card (Kartu Keluarga) and a copy of your Identification card (KTP).
  • Form 956 / 956A if you are authorising other party to communicate with DIAC.
  • If you are employed, evidence of your employment. This is usually a statement on company letterhead from your employer stating your job role, length of employment, salary, and the period of approved leave. If your employer is financially supporting your visit, this should also be mentioned on the reference letter. If you are self-employed, you need to provide evidence of your business ownership (such as the business registration or shareholder’s certificate).
  • If someone is supporting your application, a supporting letter from this person outlining the purpose of your visit, the length of your stay, the nature of your relationship with them, and the type of support they will provide (eg. financial, accommodation etc). If this person is in Australia, evidence of their status (eg. copy of Australian passport/visa).
  • Evidence that you have enough money (funds) or access to enough money to support yourself (and any family members travelling with you) for your stay. For example, a current bankbook or bank statements for the last 3 months. Cash or credit cards are NOT sufficient evidence of funds.
  • If you are under 18 years old and:
    • Travelling without both of your parents, Form 1229 and parents’ copy of identification cards; or
    • Travelling with one of your parent, Form 1229 and this parent copy of identification card.
  • If you are over 75 years old, medical examination (form 26) from our Panel Doctor and Travel Insurance covering period of your proposed stay in Australia.
  • Any other evidence which supports your application.
  • In some cases, you may be requested by us to do a medical check. See the health requirements webpage for full details. 
  • For Business Visitor stream: An invitation letter from the Australian business/organisation who are supporting your visit, which states why you are required to be in Australia, and what you will do in Australia.
  • For Tourist stream: If you are visiting a relative or other family member in Australia – evidence of your relationship with that person. For example: marriage certificate(s), birth certificate(s), statement detailing the nature of relationship, or a combination of these documents.


Application map:

Before you apply  ►  Applying  ►  After you apply  ►  Further help / links 

Back to the top of the page