Australian Embassy

Thousands of Indonesians Celebrate Eid in Australia

Media Release

28 June 2017

Indonesians looking for a unique and affordable holiday overseas are heading to Australia in record numbers. 

The Australian Embassy, Jakarta granted a record number of visitor visas in May, signalling an expected bumper month for Indonesian visits to Australia over the holiday period.

More than 18,000 visitor visas were granted to Indonesians last month, with many choosing to celebrate Eid in Australia. Visitor visa lodgements have grown by around 30 per cent compared to last year, with 115,000 visitor visas being granted to Indonesians in the last 12 months.

Australian Ambassador to Indonesia Paul Grigson said Indonesians spend more and stay longer in Australia than in the other top ten tourist destinations such as Taiwan, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore.  “Now many more have discovered that it’s great value for money with Indonesians staying on average around 16 nights in Australia,” Ambassador Grigson said.

“This Eid holiday is an ideal time to be with friends and family in Australia and just enjoy the fresh food, famous coffee culture, great shopping and outdoor lifestyle,” he said. 

There are an estimated 80,000 Indonesians in Australia, many of whom make up the 600,000 members of the Australian Muslim Community. Almost 40 percent of this community was born in Australia. The remaining 60 percent come from countries in Asia, the Middle East, Europe and Africa.

While Eid in Australia is similar to elsewhere in the world, what makes it special is the diversity of our Muslim community. They bring their own traditions and food. For example, at the famous Lakemba night market in Sydney you can try special Ramadan foods from countries including Turkey, Lebanon, Sudan and Indonesia.

Islam has a long and proud history in Australia. The first Muslims to settle in Australia arrived in the middle of the 19th century.

There are at least 175 mosques across Australia, with the highest number in the state of New South Wales.

Hear from Australian Muslims about how they celebrated Eid al-Fitr


Media Enquiries: 021 2550 5290