Australian Embassy

Largest Gathering of the New Colombo Plan Mobility Program in Indo-Pacific

Media Release

15 February 2018

The largest gathering of New Colombo Plan participants outside of Australia was held in Jakarta last night to celebrate the success of the program in Indonesia.

More than 160 Australian students, undertaking study and internship programs with ACICIS, International Internships and independently run university programs, attended the function at the Ambassador’s residence.

The New Colombo Plan has contributed to a five-fold increase in Australian students coming to Indonesia, and by the end of 2018, more than 5,300 Australian undergraduates are expected to have arrived under the initiative.

Indonesia has consistently remained one the most popular destinations under this program.

“The New Colombo Plan continues to deepen the bonds of friendship, understanding and opportunity between Australia and Indonesia,” said Allaster Cox, Chargé d’Affaires at the Australian Embassy, Jakarta.

“I am particularly impressed to see the program being leveraged to deepen institutional linkages, such as the partnership between the University of Sydney and BINUS University,” Mr Cox said.

While some 80 percent of the students attending the reception were in Indonesia under the New Colombo Plan mobility grants, the other 20 percent were self-funded, representing an important cohort of young Australians who are interested in Indonesia and are actively seeking opportunities to deepen their knowledge.

Olivia Mansson, Curtin University student, shared, “The experience has granted me the opportunity to be culturally immersed and will shape my engagement with Indonesia for many years to come. It has been priceless.”

The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government to lift knowledge of the Indo-Pacific in Australia by supporting Australian undergraduates to live, study and undertake internships in the region.

Media inquiry:
[email protected]